Field marketing (FM) is the execution of marketing knowledge at the outlet level . Where people who represent the brand will be dealing directly with consumers or customers. In some companies, the marketing field includes the distribution and coordination of the sales team. While in other companies FM is identical to street promotions.
In the past, merchandisers and SPGs merely functioned to support the distribution and sale of products at outlets. So that its placement often does not consider many factors and is more impressed carelessly. However, at present, the orientation of FM is more towards data mining. So, SPGs are not only tasked to offer products, but they are also tasked with gathering consumer insight through consumer interviews. While the merchandisers are not only tasked to spruce up the products on display. But it also plays a role in supervising and identifying product availability and product displays belonging to competitors.
Functions and Responsibilities of Field Marketing
The following are the functions and responsibilities of an FM that you need to know about:
- Shaping customer confidence in the performance of the company or store and the quality of goods sold.
- Guess the needs of customers and help customers to choose items that match what they want.
- Answering customer questions and serving complaints from customers well.
- Inform the quality of goods to the way of care to customers.
- Implement sales service standards as well as possible.
- Responsible for achieving maximum work productivity.
- Responsible for achieving sales targets.
- Can maintain the level of shrinkage (loss of goods).
- Able to make preventive efforts to overcome the danger of fire.
- Can give correct information to customers wisely.
- Able to keep the sales area and merchandise clean.
The Important Role of Field Marketing for Business
An effective field of marketing is not only to attract visitors to come. But it can also educate and attract visitors to buy the product that is being offered. An FM represents the brand image, so companies should be more selective in choosing an FM. Choose FM characters that can represent the image of a product or company.
To obtain field marketing, companies can search for themselves or use field marketing or SPG service providers. If you use an SPG service provider company, you will get a lot of benefits. One of them saves time compared to searching for yourself. For example, if your company is located in Bandung, but you want to attend an event or exhibition in Jakarta, you can use the SPG services in Jakarta or vice versa.
In general, an FM is considered a “door opener” to attract consumers directly. FM has the opportunity to explain the product, so consumers can find out information about the product. Even if the consumer is interested, he will immediately buy it.
Tips on Getting the Best Field Marketing
There are several requirements in the form of capabilities that must be fulfilled by FM. If you want to get the best marketing field, at least you should look for candidates who have the ability as below:
- Have a good performance. Performance is a physical display that can be sensed by using vision. In this perspective, performance can also illustrate someone’s nature. This trait can be measured by the appearance of outlook (physical appearance) and clothing choices.
- Have a good communication style. Good communication is absolutely owned by the FM, to create interactions with consumers. This communication can be measured by the style of speech and how to communicate. Measurement of this communication style will be returned to consumers because it can be subjective.
- Having a good body language. Body language is more directed at physical movements (gentle, graceful, etc.). Body movement when offering products and physical touch ( body touch ) is a description of this body language.